Monday 1 October 2012

RAK September Wrap Up & October Sign Up


I signed up for RAK again this month after a month off with intentions to restrict myself to sending out just the one book. Obviously I failed, but I didn't do too badly I don't think! For anybody who doesn't know, RAK is hosted monthly by the girls at Booksoulmates with the idea that you sign up your wishlist for every month you want to participate and then randomly select somebody from the list of participants to send a book to. If you're lucky, somebody may do the same for you! 

I tend to have good months and bad months in terms of RAK; if I'm having a good month I usually get more than one book sent to me, on bad months I don't get any but to be honest it doesn't bother me too much. Half the excitement is in sending books to people anyway, because we all know how awesome it is to receive a free book in the post. I don't know about everybody else, but it immediately makes my day better and I like the feeling of knowing that by buying a couple of books a month I can make a couple of people's days better :-) 



This month I sent out two books. Regular followers won't be surprised to hear that one of them was The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Yes, I am continuing my crusade to get the entire world to read it, and no I don't plan on stopping any time soon! 

Anyway, September's copy went to Andrea of The Busy Bibliophile, and I hope that she falls in love with it as much as I have done!


The second book I sent out is by another one of my favourite authors: The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. I kind of feel like everybody should read Sir Terry at some point in their lives, mostly because he often wears a top hat/cape/cane/all of the aforementioned in his author photos, but also because he is generally hilarious and great and while this isn't the strongest of the Discworld novels, it is the first one, and as Julie Andrews says, the beginning is a very good place to start!

Anyway, this was sent to Lauren of Northern Plunder, and I hope she likes it!

I also got entirely ninja'd (yes, that's a word!) by Ellie this month, because she is awesome. She sent me a copy of Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke, which I've wanted to read ever since the first time I saw Sister Act 2 which just shows how easily influenced I am....

So rambling aside, I think I've done pretty well this month. I'm a totally selfish RAKer in that I almost always send out books I either love or really want to read myself, because I love the idea of promoting the things I love. Despite the imminent baby having of this next month, I am signing up for RAK again for October and will do my very very best to remember to send out at least one book! Here are the rules from Booksoulmates


COMPLETE RULES RE-CAP:
Please read carefully & follow all rules!  Thank you!
  • Please sign-up each month that you can participate (and by participate, we mean give as well as receive).
  • Show off your participation by grabbing our RAK button (code is in the right sidebar).
  • Create a wish list (on Amazon, Goodreads, or your blog, etc) and post it in the Google Doc located in each R.A.K post for the month.
  • If you choose to do a R.A.K for someone, check out their wish list and contact that blogger directly for their information.
  • Once you receive a RAK, send us an our new email to [rakbybooksoulmates @ gmail . com] so that we can update the Google Doc. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU SEND EMAILS TO THIS ADDRESS!
  • E-book participation is limited to files being gifted directly to a person from the e-book store. Amazon's Kindle Store is set up to allow this, as well as the Kobo store and we believe Barnes & Noble with Nook as well.
  • At the end of the month, SHOW US YOUR R.A.K by making a "RAK Wrap-Up" post.  This post should include who you SENT gifts to as well who you RECEIVED gifts from :)

Should anybody be interested in sending me books, my wishlists are here and here, and the baby's wishlist is here. I have no objections whatsoever to being sent books from either.

3 comments:

  1. Awww, baby has his own wishlist! I love that you send out books that you love because I totally do that! I guess everyone does, really :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do it too! I send out books I love or books I've heard great things about and want to read - I could never pick something at random that I've never heard of... How would I know if I was sending a dud or not? ;)

      Delete
    2. Is it selfish that I'd rather send someone a book I loved than a book they say they really want? Like, I'll go through wishlists and entirely ignore people's top 5 most wanted just to find something I know is great.

      Also, the baby's wishlist may be getting a little out of hand... :-/ I was having a great conversation yesterday with a family friend who was saying that she thinks its very important for children to have lots and lots of books to pick from so they can find the things they feel like reading at that point in time. I was sat on the other end of the phone like 'YES!!'

      Delete