Monday 3 December 2012

Announcing: The Telling Tales Challenge 2013!!


Hello fellow lovers of all things fairytales! I've loved hosting this challenge in 2012, so I'm proud to announce that the Telling Tales Challenge will be back in 2013! If you participated in 2012 and want to again, we'll be glad to have you, ditto if you didn't, or if (like me) you signed up and then spectacularly failed in your aims! 

Here are the rules:
  • The challenge runs from January 1st, 2013 to December 31st, 2013. You can sign up at any point throughout the year. 
  • Again, any genre counts as long as it is in some way related to fairytale and/or mythology. Once again, if you are unsure, as long as you can make an argument for its' inclusion, it counts! 
  • Re-reads count, and you are more than welcome to overlap books with other challenges. 
  • Please leave me your email address in the comments if you want to participate (I promise not to harrass you, it's just so that people get a reminder every now and again about the monthly link ups, and also so I can contact you for competitions etc). 
  • Please link up your reviews every month in the posts which will go up on this blog. 
  • In your sign up post, please indicate the level you aim to complete. You are entirely welcome to change this as the year progresses. You can make your lists beforehand, or as you go. Whichever you prefer! 
  • When you sign up, please leave the link to your sign up post, rather than just to your blog in general. 
  • You don't have to have a blog to participate - you can review on Goodreads, Amazon, wherever, just let me know where you will be reviewing! 
That's it! 

The levels are as follows: 

Pixie - read 2 books
Troll under the Bridge - read 5 books
Princess - read 10 books
Prince Charming - read 15 books
Evil Queen - read 20 books
Dragon - read 30 books
King/Queen of the Silver Screen - read any number of books and watch the film adaptations. 

It would also be great to spread the word a little about other fairytale challenges and blogs or website based around the theme, so if you have any feel free to let me know and I'll add them in here. So far the only challenge I've found is the Fairytales Retold Challenge. Then there's Sur la Lune Fairytales Blog which is great for upcoming releases of books and movies. That's pretty much it for now! 

If you'd like some inspiration on where to begin, the list of books read for the challenge in 2012 is here

So that's it. Sign up using the linky and leave your email address in the comments! 


31 comments:

  1. Well, there's Project Fairytale going on in February, but signup is ended, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does this challenge include short stories and original fairy tales?

      Delete
    2. Yes it does :-) anything related to the genre is included. Thanks for the link too!

      Delete
  2. Great challenge! Thanks for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you allow re-tellings only? I noticed your personal list include beastly, alice in wonderland, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, literally anything related is fine, so original tales, retellings, whatever you want really :-)

      Delete
    2. Alright then. BTW I sent you an email. I wanted to quote your rules on my reading challenge page along with the book list. The rules will attributed to you of course. :D

      Delete
    3. Thats totally fine :-) thanks for checking!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, did I write something wrong?

      Delete
    2. No I was on my phone and hit the wrong button and couldnt undo it!!

      Delete
    3. That's happened to me a few times, too. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm signing up again this year. Thanks so much for continuing to host this challenge!

    My email: admin@inkalicious.com

    Also, I made an image link that's 300x300 because I'm kinda hopeless about having all my images be boringly uniform in size. :p I'm happy to donate it for others to use, if that something you'd be okay with.

    It's at my sign-up post: http://michelealbert.wordpress.com/2012/12/09/challenge-sign-up-post-telling-tales-2013/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thats brilliant,thanks! I'm totally useless at the whole image thing!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! Your banner is pretty, I just wanted all uniform-sized banners for sidebar stuff. I don't expect anyone to cater to my peculiarities, so I'm happy to poke around my stock images and fonts folders and make my own.

      Delete
  7. I'm going for Princess level but hope to share tons of great fairy tales with my boys this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one should be fun! I love fairy-tale twists and fable retellings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. escapingthroughpages@hotmail.om

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fairy tales! And mythology! suiyoubieveryday @ gmail . com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Count me in! I love fairy tales. Are children's books okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot my email: 1330vblog AT gmail DOT com

      Delete
    2. Childrens books are great! Any genre counts so long as it's fairytale related!:-)

      Delete
  12. I was wanting to read more fairy tales this year, so this fits right in! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to trying this again. wvredreads[@]gamil dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm excited to join in on this challenge! Thanks! ~Jen (jmsacklin AT gmail DOT com)

    ReplyDelete
  15. good to be back - hope to do better this year:) rossalberta44@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. http://rachaelc94.blogspot.com/2013/01/2013-reading-challenges.html
    rachaelc1020AtgmailDOTcom.

    I'm going for Pixie at this point. I may upgrade to a higher level later. I want to read Cinder by Marissa Meyer and Towering by Alex Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this challenge!! (ɔ ˘⌣˘)˘⌣˘ c)

    @lucktygs
    http://luckty.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. old lady confused as to what is fairy tale what is fantasy - myths I just about get except I dont seem to recognise them in modern fiction - do trolls, shape shifters,talking animals count as fairytale? is it the occupants of the story or the format of the story? feeling a trifle dim witted:(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for hosting this challenge. I would love to join in 2014. I completed it and exceeded it in 2013.

    http://rachaelc94.blogspot.com/2014/01/my-year-in-reading-challenges-2013.html

    ReplyDelete