Wednesday 29 October 2014

The Halloween Ninja Book Swap

Guys, the Halloween Ninja Book Swap is in the process of happening again, and I'm one of the lucky ones who's received her parcels already so I thought I'd post about it because I'm so excited! If you're still waiting for your parcel please don't worry, the deadline for sending was Saturday and parcels could be coming from anywhere in the world so may take a little while to arrive! If you'd like to find out more about the Ninja Swap, you can do so here.

I signed up to do both the original and trick or treat swaps, and the first parcel to arrive was for the original swap from lovely Leah at Uncorked Thoughts.




Such exciting stuff, I got a copy of Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins, which I've heard people singing praises about for ages and I'm really excited to read. I'm saving it for a day when I need cheering up. I also got an awesome little craft kit to make your own owls, a '50 Books to Read Before you Die' bookmark (of which I've read 32), a Books are my Bag tote and some yummy chocolate plus a cool ribbon card. Thank you Leah :-) I feel so spoiled!

The other day we were out all day and came back to a missed parcel slip, so the next morning I dragged Rhys and the boys out of the house bang on nine o'clock and practically ran to the Post Office to pick it up. It turned out to be my trick or treat parcel from Jessica of Literary Etc, and I will admit to squealing a little bit while opening it! The idea of the trick or treat swap is that you give a genre you'd like to read more of and are paired up with somebody who has a favourite book in that genre. I said I'd like to read more mysteries and got not only two 'trick' mystery books but also a lovely letter detailing why she thought I'd like them and more recommendations if I do! Amazing. 

Apologies for the horrendous photo, my phone hates me today. 


At the top are the letter and little note from Jess. Underneath that are the two trick books - The Dead Travel Fast by Deanna Raybourn and A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch, neither of whom I've heard of but both the books look fantastic and perfect for the wintery months ahead! Next to that are two awesome pairs of socks, one Tardis pair (which Rhys is really jealous of!) and the other Halloween themed and covered in ghosts! In the middle (as if I didn't have enough treats in this parcel already!) is my treat book, Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl. I love the cover! And then on the right there's a gorgeous reading journal which also has a yearly planned and a space for TBR list as well as being full of loads of quotes! Finally at the bottom of the box there were two Lindt chocolate sticks - one caramel and one chocolate chip brownie and a little sachet of Ernest Hemingway Highland Select Tea which is apparently 'infused with the author's spirit and passion for life'. Love it!

I have been so lucky and am overwhelmed by the generosity of strangers this swap! Thank you so so much Jess and Leah. You are amazing :-) 

As if that wasn't enough, we also signed our boys up to send and receive a parcel. The books and gifts arrived separately from Librarian Lavender and they were so excited! 



The books are No Matter What and The Trouble with Dragons by Debi Gliori (who we love!), both of which are very sweet, beautifully illustrated books with an important underlying message, and we've read them both a few times since receiving them! The box of gifts was incredibly and included a load of cute stickers and magnetic bookmarks for me, a card,three puzzles, a soother and dummy clip, a bib, and a cardboard treasure hunt kit which is just the coolest idea ever and I'm saving it for a rainy day. Ben adores the puzzles and they were both so excited to receive their little box of happy. 

Rhys has also joined in this time but will probably be blogging about his parcel on our other blog at some point as it's not yet arrived. 

Thank you so much to all of our Ninja Swappers for making our (several) days! 




3 comments:

  1. What fun parcels - I'm jealous and want your Tardis socks! I think it's fantastic that the kids got got a package of their own :)
    Book swap day is a holiday in itself - I always look forward to swapping season :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some fantastic parcels you scored! I'm jealous, I'm always one of the last to receive my parcels (stupid living on the other side of the planet)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got the Tracey Emin bag! I'm not a fan of hers, but it's a cool idea and I've seen them around a lot these last couple of weeks. Anna's cute, I hope you enjoy it. It's quite funny and it's PARIS, which was enough to make me read it with a stupid grin on my face every time the students went out into the city!

    That's a very cool copy of Special Topics as well - I haven't read it yet (naturally) but I heard nothing but good things when the Marisha Pessl buzz first started a couple of years ago. And socks! Can never have too many socks at this time of year.

    How cute that the boys and Rhys were signed up too! Awww. There is so much loveliness in this post. :D

    ReplyDelete