Saturday 22 November 2014

My First Minithon!

I am so ridiculously excited that I've finally managed to notice that this was happening before it happened, as opposed to usually, when I notice it's happening two hours before it ends and am jealous of everybody's mini snacks!

In case you don't know about minithon, Tika is hosting it so check out her post for details, but it generally involves reading mini things, eating mini snacks and having mini chats (mostly on twitter). It always seems like awesome fun and I'm really excited to be joining in this time! As it runs from 4pm UK time till midnight, I should be able to join in with a large chunk of it, although sporadically until about 7.30pm due to small male children of my acquaintance...

I am buying my mini snacks this morning (whenever I try to write snack I write 'snake'. Should I be worried?) so I don't have pictures as yet but I'm planning on mini cheddars, mini muffins, grapes (which are just mini by definition) and possibly some kind of mini biscuits (maybe chocolate digestives, we shall see). Oh, plus the awesome looking pizza flavoured Pringles stix which Nahree sent me, thankyooooou! :-)

I have a little pile of books and while I'm obviously not going to get through all of them it would be kind of cool to read a bit from all of them! Also I'd like to say, hooray for the Nonfiction November book swap, which delivered the only legitimately mini book on this stack to me yesterday and I'm planning to kick off with it!



We Should All Be Feminists and We Have Always Lived in the Castle are both mini because of their lack of pages. Primo Levi's The Periodic Table is mini by virtue of being short stories, and The Pickwick Papers is, clearly, not at all mini but I have to keep reading occasional chapters or there's no way I'll get through twelve chapters this week, so it's mini by virtue of me only reading a little bit of it!

Apologies for the truly shocking photography - my phones camera hates me. My laptop is also working ridiculously slowly this week and yesterday our broadband refused to let us play iPlayer through the Wii like we usually do thus rendering us solely reliant on DVDs. It's not been a good week, technology wise, bring on 4pm! I'm saving Finding Nemo till then in the hopes it'll distract Benji so I can read a bit without him noticing. Great mothering, right?


Update

OK so my TV as babysitter related plans worked pretty well and I managed to get about halfway through We Should All be Feminists before I had to go and make dinner and put kids to bed. As you will all know through my excessive whining on twitter, Ben was pretty congested last night and kept waking up, which put a bit of a dent in things and sent me running to bed an hour before the end of the readathon, but despite all that I maanged to read all 48 pages of We Should All be Feminists, 42 of We Have Always Lived in the Castle (which is awesome so far and really mysterious and creepy. Love it) and a couple of pages of The Pickwick Papers. Overall I'm pretty impressed! I'm also very excited about the amount of people I've influenced to read We Should All Be Feminists and have been finishing off my mini snacks all day today. Minithon wins. I will definitely be back for the next one!

9 comments:

  1. Ooh, you've got We Should All Be Feminists - can't wait to get my hands on that book!
    Enjoy your reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miniiiiii!!! Whilst I'm not going to be reading (Or, I'll only be reading to find quotes and shit) I will be tiny snacking and morally supporting the reading. Of others. Because I'm not allowed to read EVER EVER EVER *weeps*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have put We Should All Be Feminists on my to read list

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will ALSO put We Should All Be Feminists on my to-read list. Look at you and your impressive choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, I am quite impressed with myself to be honest. Good decision!

      Delete
  5. Also ALSO putting We Should All Be Feminists on my TBR. Due to its tininess and your enthusiasm. THANKS BEX.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for getting everyone to read it! You are very welcome, and it is so tiny it only took me two hours to read and that was with a lot of interruptions!

      Delete
  6. I just purchased We Should All Be Feminists thanks to your rec on twitter, so now I just have to wait for it to arrive *taps fingers on desk impatiently*

    Also, BOOOO technology! Hopefully they all magically decide to get their acts together, asap.

    ReplyDelete