Tuesday 24 March 2015

Witches, Frogs and Happily Ever After: A Monthly Fairytale Meme

Some of you may remember that waaaaaay back at the start of the blog I wrote a monthly fairytale feature where I compared a traditional fairy tale with a modern reworking of it and talked a little about various issues surrounding the fairytale. I've been thinking about resurrecting it in some form for a while now but it wasn't until reading Joy's mini challenge post for Bloggiesta that I had the idea of making it a meme!

I loved writing these posts (which you can find here) as I love fairytales and really enjoy geeking out about them. When I first started blogging there was a meme I sometimes took part in called 'Friday is for Fairytales' but at the moment there doesn't seem to be much around for the fairytale lovers (except for the amazing Once Upon a Time of course!) so here it is!




The idea will be to post once a month (at the moment I'm thinking the last Friday of the month, but please let me know your thoughts and preferences) and link up here so that we can all indulge in a plethora of all things fairytale! Your post can be in my traditional format of comparison of a traditional tale to a modern retelling, thoughts about a fairytale related film or event, a review of a traditional or twisted fairytale or just your thoughts on the genre. Anything fairytale related goes really!

Occasionally I may post prompts for this although I'm not sure on that yet. What do you think? Would you prefer to be prompted with monthly topics/themes/stories? Or would you just like to write whatever you feel like?

I'd love your input on this. I don't mind posting just for me, but I'd love it if you wanted to take part so let me know your thoughts in the comments and spread the word!

8 comments:

  1. I think this sounds fun. I like witches and have read bunches about them. A reminder would be nice. For old brains. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! I'm thinking of a twitter reminder as I spend all my time there, but what do you think? Would that be useful to you?

      Delete
    2. OK, I'm telling my secrets - I'm not a twitter person. But, I could figure out something or you could just do your suggested "certain day" thing.

      Delete
  2. What fun! I get a kick out of fairy tale retellings and your meme would be a great way to hear about ones I haven't read yet.

    I would hate for a prompt to make me feel like I couldn't post about the latest book I read. On the other hand, a prompt might get me to write a post even when I haven't read a book that qualifies as a fairy tale retelling. So, maybe you could phrase the prompt as an option?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea Joy. I thought the same in that a prompt might be a bit restrictive, but then I also know that sometimes it can be difficult to get inspired to write about things so an optional prompt would be great!

      Hearing about what other people have read would be the greatest thing about making it a meme rather than just a feature like I used to do. I used to run a fairytale themed reading challenge and the best thing about that was finding out about books I'd never heard of!

      Delete
  3. I'm pretty terrible at joining in on memes. I'm just not organized enough in my blogging. The only one I've managed to do fairly regularly is Weekend Cooking. I don't read that many fairy tale-related books, so this is another meme I might enjoy checking in on but wouldn't take part in! I'm glad you were inspired by Joy's mini challenge! I love her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your idea is amazing! I'm not very good at doing memes but I love to read them :) It's great you got inspired by the mini challenge, that's why I love Bloggiesta :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in! I need a kick in the butt to get back to fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete