Saturday 6 August 2016

Make Mine an Indie: Mr B's Emporium of Reading Delights


August 20th will be the Bath Bookshop Crawl, and as with the London Bookshop Crawl back in February I thought it would be nice to do a little post about each of the bookshops we'll be visiting, although I may amalgamate a few stops into one since some of the shops are super little!

To start with the place that probably most people are most excited to visit; Mr B's Emporium of Reading Delights! I have read about this shop in so many different places and in my head it's kind of a booklovers' paradise. I don't think I can overstate how excited I am to visit!

Mr B's was founded in 2006 by Nic and Juliette Bottomley and has won many awards for its excellence since then. The shop covers three floors and even just looking at the pictures on their website makes me squeal.

As well as selling alllll the books, Mr B's is also pretty well known for having a Bibliotherapy room through which they offer a 'reading spa', where you get to chat with a bookseller over tea and cake about books you love and then they hand pick a load of books for you based on that chat. Included as part of it you get £55 to spend on the book, plus a load of freebies and it just sounds like the best thing ever. They also offer a book subscription service and reading bundles, where you get five books around a theme plus a cloth badge and a tote bag and can you hear me hyperventilating from the excitement? And this is just the online stuff! I may have to be physically removed from this shop if it's as good as it looks like being!

As with when I wrote about Daunt earlier in the year, I got lost in Mr B's website. They have a blog, loads of random lists of books, a podcast, a section for each of their booksellers favourite books, and on and on and on. I so so wish we had a bookshop anything like this around here and I am beyond excited to visit!

If you've already been, tell me all your stories! If you haven't been but are coming on the crawl, share my excitement! If you are or can be in Bath on August 20th and are interested in joining us you're more than welcome, just email me for itinerary and details!

Go get lost in their website too if you like, it'll be time excitedly spent!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh, their website is so addictive! I love their little bios with the pictures of each person reading, and their 'favourite' bookshelves (Vlashka's bit made me laugh!). The book spas are an AMAZING idea, what a treat - especially as someone who's not interested in the fashion equivalent, champagne and personal shoppers and fancy fitting rooms - give me tea and cake and books any day! I'm quite tempted by the reading subscriptions as well, especially how they match you to the best staff member to pick your books. DAMMIT, BEX... WHY DON'T I LIVE IN BATH??

    ReplyDelete